Fried Rice and Japanese White Sauce

fried rice and Japanese white sauce // chattavore

Fried rice and Japanese white sauce are one of my versions of fast food.  Now, fried rice takes a little bit of thinking ahead, as you need leftover rice to make it (though if you were really dying to be frying rice in the next hour you could spread some cooked rice on a cookie sheet and place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes) but once you’ve got that sticky leftover rice that always dumps out of the bowl in a big “clump”, you’re only about twenty minutes away from fried rice.

I didn’t eat Asian food in any shape, form, or fashion until I started dating Philip.  I have no idea why, but I was convinced I didn’t like it.  Philip got me to try Chinese at a long-closed buffet that used to be next door to T.J. Maxx, China Inn-still the best Chinese buffet where I’ve ever eaten-and Japanese hibachi chicken at Typhoon of Tokyo.  I discovered that I actually did like Asian food, not least of all fried rice and white sauce.

Back when we were dating in the late nineties Typhoon of Tokyo was one of the few places in tow that served the now ubiquitous white sauce, which someone told me that they refer to as “honey mustard”, though I’m fairly certain there’s not a drop of honey in it.  Now, you can find it at every place that serve hibachi food, though Typhoon’s is still the best I’ve had by a long shot….at least, besides this recipe, which was given to me by my friend Sharon.  I have tweaked the recipe, leaving out butter and adding some sriracha for heat and soy sauce to bring it closer to the flavor of Typhoon’s.  You can buy white sauce-also called “Yum-Yum Sauce”-in the produce or international foods sections at the grocery store these days, but something tells me that those bottled versions don’t even begin to hold a candle to this one, which I could pretty much swim in.  I am sure that there’s probably not anything Japanese about this sauce, and one of my friends told me that she’s never seen it in California, where she lives…but it. is. good.

As for fried rice, the first couple of times I made fried rice I pretty much cried into my pan wondering why my rice sucked so badly.  I went many, many years without even attempting to make fried rice again.  I don’t remember what got me to try it again, but I’m glad I did.  Using the right amount of oil but keeping the pan otherwise pretty dry until “flavor time” comes seemed to work well.  A wok will really speed up the process, though a 12-inch skillet will get the job done just fine.  I promise this is one of the easiest twenty-minute meals you can make (and if you need a little bit of meat, make the teriyaki chicken pictured here too!).

Fried Rice

Serves 2-4
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
Total time 20 minutes
Allergy Egg
Dietary Vegetarian
Meal type Side Dish

Ingredients

• 2 cups leftover rice (I used brown rice)
  • 1/2 Medium onion (diced)
  • 1-2 carrots (diced)
  • 4oz cremini mushrooms (sliced or quartered)
  • 1/4 cup sherry or dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed-optional)
  • 1-2 eggs
  • soy sauce (to taste)
  • 1-2 tablespoon cooking oil (canola, peanut, coconut-whatever you prefer)

Directions

Step 1
For the fried rice: Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok or large skillet. Add the onions and carrots and cook until softened, then add the mushrooms and cook until softened.
Step 2
If all of the cooking oil has been absorbed, add another tablespoon to the pan (no one ever claimed this was a low fat recipe), then add the rice to the pan and cook until heated through.
Step 3
Add the sherry or white wine, if using, and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Step 4
Crack the eggs into the pan and quickly stir in to scramble. Season with soy sauce to taste. Add thawed frozen peas if you like (I just let them sit in warm water for a few minutes before adding to the rice).

“Japanese” White Sauce

Serves yield 1 cup
Prep time 5 minutes

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sriracha (optional-you can use more if you're brave!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce (to taste-I use two)

Directions

Step 1
Whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve.

fried rice and Japanese white sauce // chattavore

Comments

• Chattavore says

Do not assume that just because a recipe is very similar to one that you have posted that it was taken from your website. I did not get this recipe from you. If you read the post, you will read that the recipe was given to me by a friend…in a message on Facebook. She did not know the source as it was given to HER by a friend. If you will take a few minutes to look at my website, I always credit when I use a recipe from another person’s website or book. I have never seen your website before. It’s pretty classy to go to other people’s websites and leave comments like this pretty much trashing them. Thanks.

1. all5hrzns says

I agree, this recipe is every on the internet now anyway. Most do not use the Soy Sauce. Hey, do you, or anyone else, remember the Kay’s Kastle, or whatever it was called, in East Ridge when they started serving fried rice? They had a similar white sauce that I loved. It was my first exposure. I swear it had molasses in it. I tried this recipe and removed the sugar and added about a full tablespoon of molasses. It was pretty good too.

• Chattavore says

This recipe is pretty similar to what they serve at that restaurant, which, I believe, is called the Teriyaki House. I love that place-it’s very similar to Typhoon of Tokyo in Red Bank. The recipe that my friend gave me didn’t have soy sauce and I felt like “something was missing”. I added the soy sauce and it was perfect. We love molasses so I may try that instead of sugar next time. Thanks for the tip! :)

2. says

Thank you for posting this recipe. My first experience of having white sauce believe it or not was at East Gate in Chattanooga in their food court. LOL I loved it!!!! The only Japanese Steakhouse I had eaten at before that was Kanpai and I don’t remember them ever offering White Sauce. I live in Cleveland and we finally got a Hibachi grill and they served it. I tried mayonnaise and ketchup. Big failure! It tasted like thousand island dressing. Ha ha ha. But as I was saying thank you. This is perfect and yummy. And that guy at the top needs to chill. I found the recipe here first but after I saw his comment I looked online and it is practically everywhere. Geeeez. Chill out dude!!!! Its not like you invented the recipe! LOL

3. Lindsey B says

Made the fried rice and white sauce last night! SOO Good! I used a frozen pre-mix stiry fry with my rice, but it was the best recipe I have made so far! The white sauce was sooo good, it was better after sitting for an hour in the fridge! We felt like we could eat these over our japanese restaurant meals anyday! My husband said keep this recipe, and make it every week! thank-you! =)

4. Jennifer says

We just ordered take-out, sweet and sour chicken, rice, and white sauce. They give such a small little pack of white sauce that it doesn’t even cover the rice. So, I ordered another pack of the white sauce and had to pay 1.59 for it. Still not enough to go on all the rice they give you. So, I looked up on the Internet and found this recipe. THANKS! I’m going to make my own from now on. We can have all we want with several meals and I think it will cost less than $1.59.

5. says

Wow! Small world! I was searching for a good fried rice recipe to make like Ichiban’s and yours was the first to come up–I am also from Chattanooga! :) I am making it with quinoa right now! I am veganizing the recipe and adding some ginger since they add ginger sauce while cooking at Ichiban. Thanks!

• Chattavore says

Kate, even smaller world: I almost made quinoa fried “rice” for dinner tonight but undershot the amount of quinoa I needed so that’s tomorrow’s dinner :) Can’t wait to check out your site.

6. Matt says

Made this just tonight from “Chuck”‘s website and must say I’ve always had white sauce like that, never like yours tastes like yours with Soy Sauce. Then again, it’s all about personal taste, so whatever.

Btw, LOVE Publix and Badia spices!

• Chattavore says

My favorite is from a local restaurant that definitely puts soy sauce in theirs….so it didn’t taste right to me until I put some soy sauce in it. And Publix & Badia spices are among my favorite-great product for a great price!

7. Sondra says

Do you happen to have nutrition information for this recipe? We love Japanese and your recipe looks wonderful and easy :

• Chattavore says

Sondra, unfortunately my recipe plug-in doesn’t offer nutrition info for “free” users (that is, unless I pay $45 I can’t get the analysis to put on my page) :( but I did analyze these recipes for you at caloriecount.about.com. I assumed 4 servings for the rice and 8 servings for the white sauce and the larger amounts for ingredients that offer a suggested “range”. The rice: 479 cals, (11.9 grams fat-1.7 sat), 82 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 81 g carbs (5.8 g fiber, 3.7 g sugar), and 12.5 g protein. For some reason it did not recognize the sherry, so the numbers are a bit off. For the white sauce: 75 cals, 6.2 g fat (.9 sat), 5 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 4.9 g carbs (1.3 g sugar), and .5 g protein.

Thanks for reading! :)

8. sherry moore says

The key ingredient believe it or not at the Teriyaki house is peanut butter I would have never believed it until the owner told us. all other ingredients are correct except you left out the peanut butter who would have thought that!!!

Thanks for your comments, but remember that Chattavore is a positive site. I reserve the right to delete any comments that contain unnecessary negativity!